It is critical that you continue paying the premiums for your life insurance plans so that your family gets financial support during tough times. Whether it is a group term life insurance or an individual life insurance plan online, it is important for a policy to remain active if your beneficiaries need the benefits.
Seven important benefits of life insurance renewal:
1. Continued financial security: Not paying your life insurance plan premiums on time and letting your policy lapse goes against the purpose of buying insurance. No active policy means no financial coverage. So, in the case of your untimely demise, your family will not get any benefits, which could leave them struggling financially even to make their ends meet. Renewing your life insurance plans within the due date keeps your family financially secure.
2. Evade high premiums: When you buy a life insurance plan online at a young age, you get lower premiums since your insurer associates your young age with low risk and good health. If you do not renew your policy, you lose the low-risk tag and later, when you consider buying a new life insurance plan, you might need to pay much higher premiums than before because of your age, medical condition, etc.
3. Get full policy benefits: If you do not renew your life insurance plan, your family will not get any death benefits or any other additional rider benefit. This means that all the premiums you have paid are for nothing. You might also need to pay interest for reinstating your life insurance plan online. If you renew your policy in time, your family gets the full benefits of the policy.
4. Avoid the waiting period: Life insurance plans have a waiting period before the inclusion of some benefits. When your existing policy lapses, you lose the waiting period covered. So, when you purchase a new life insurance plan online, the waiting period is renewed, and you have to begin afresh.
5. No medical tests: Life insurance plans require you to undergo medical tests to determine your health risk and premiums. If you buy a life insurance plan online at a young age, you have a lower risk because of your good medical history. This means you can get lower premiums. However, when the policy lapses, you have to undergo medical tests again when purchasing a new life insurance plan online. This could result in higher premiums and more hassle.
6. Get full tax benefits: The premiums of life insurance plans are eligible for taxes deduction under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. But when your policy lapses, you cannot claim tax benefits for that year. This causes your taxable income to shoot up. Renewing your life insurance plan online ensures you get full tax benefits as applicable.
7. Avail full tenure advantage: Life insurance plans have a minimum and maximum entry age, usually between 18 and 65 years, and tenure up to 40 years. For instance, if you buy a life insurance plan online at 58 years and continue it for eight years but fail to renew it later, you may lose out on the benefits of the past premiums and become ineligible to buy another life insurance online because of the maximum age limit.
Renewing a life insurance plan online is quick and hassle-free if you opt for timely renewal. Staying covered under a life insurance plan or a group term life insurance at all times ensures that you do not have to worry about your family in case of an unforeseen situation.
Know more about long term savings, term plan and retirement on PNB MetLife website.
The aforesaid article presents the view of an independent writer who is an expert on financial and insurance matters. PNB MetLife India Insurance Co. Ltd. doesn’t influence or support views of the writer of the article in any way. The article is informative in nature and PNB MetLife and/ or the writer of the article shall not be responsible for any direct/ indirect loss or liability or medical complications incurred by the reader for taking any decisions based on the contents and information given in article. Please consult your financial advisor/ insurance advisor/ health advisor before making any decision.
PNB MetLife India Insurance Company Limited
Registered office address: Unit No. 701, 702 & 703, 7th Floor, West Wing, Raheja Towers, 26/27 M G Road, Bangalore -560001, Karnataka
IRDAI Registration number 117 | CIN U66010KA2001PLC028883
For more details on risk factors, please read the sales brochure and the terms and conditions of the policy, carefully before concluding the sale.
Goods and Services Tax (GST) shall be levied as per prevailing tax laws which are subject to change from time to time.
The marks "PNB" and "MetLife" are registered trademarks of Punjab National Bank and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, respectively. PNB MetLife India Insurance Company Limited is a licensed user of these marks.
Call us Toll-free at 1-800-425-6969, Phone: 080-66006969, Website: www.pnbmetlife.com, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Write to us: 1st Floor, Techniplex -1, Techniplex Complex, Off Veer Savarkar Flyover, Goregaon (West), Mumbai – 400062, Maharashtra. Phone: +91-22-41790000, Fax: +91-22-41790203.
Beware of Spurious Phone Calls and Fictitious / Fraudulent Offers!
IRDAI is not involved in activities like selling insurance policies, announcing bonus or investments of premium. Public receiving such phone calls are requested to lodge a police complaint.