Find out how a BMI Calculator works and the formula it uses.
A BMI calculator or a body mass index calculator is an offline and online tool that correlates your body weight with your height to assess if your weight is right for your stature. Typically, the BMI calculator measures your body mass (fat in the body, including muscles and bones) with your weight and height.
The BMI tool takes your weight and divides the figure by the square of your height. The result helps you understand if your BMI corresponds to a healthy range according to the corresponding BMI range. For most adults, the BMI range is between 18.5 and 24.9. For children between 2 and 20 years, the BMI calculator also considers age and gender with height and weight.
For adults above 20 years, BMI is calculated using the standard weight measures. This implies there is no different BMI calculator for men or BMI calculator for women. Everyone can use the standard BMI calculator offline and online.
BMI calculator does not directly measure body fat as it does not account for age, sex, ethnicity, muscle mass, etc. However, the tool uses standard weight category status, which can provide a fair indication of potential health issues. When combined with other health parameters, the results from a BMI calculator can help assess your holistic health condition.
Here are some reasons why you should use an online body mass index calculator
An online BMI calculator can help you understand if your BMI value is within the healthy weight range or is deviated.-
- An online BMI calculator can help you understand if your BMI value is within the healthy weight range or is deviated.
- If the BMI calculator shows a deviated value, you can take measures to reduce the health risk.
- BMI helps your doctor or nutritionist prepare the right diet and exercise chart and eventually get your BMI values in the healthy range.
- BMI calculator tool is inexpensive, easy to use and gives quick results.
- BMI measures the level of obesity, which can help the doctor in identifying and mitigating associated health risks.
- BMI helps guide fitness and health goals.